Turning a Backup of Matillion ETL into a new pre-release Instance.
These instructions explain how to take a backup of an existing Matillion instance and then switch the new instance to the pre-release repository. This will then allow you to upgrade the instance to the pre-release version.
Pre-release versions of Matillion are designed to allow users to test Matillion ETL in their own environment and feedback before general release. All feedback should be via email@example.com
Pre-releases of Matillion ETL are fully supported however caution should be exercised when using them in a production environment
Pre-release users will be notified in the usual way that upgrades are available when the final public update is available. They may be invited onto future pre-releases of Matillion again via the “updates available” notification.
The following is a series of instructions for backing up a Matillion ETL instance and switching channels in order to access the pre-release version of Matillion ETL.
1. Backup a Matillion instance to an EBS Snapshot (Main Article)
- On the AWS Console, select EC2 from the top-left menu
- Click ‘Running Instances’
- Find your Instance and select it
- At the lower-right of the page, click on the link for your Root Device
- From the small popup, select the link for your EBS ID
- Right Click the volume and Create Snapshot
- Enter name and description then Create
2. Create an AMI Image from the Snapshot
- On AWS Console, select EC2.
- On the EC2 Dashboard, find ‘Snapshots’ on the left-hand side under the heading ‘Elastic Block Store’.
- Select desired snapshot. Note only 50 are shown at a time by default and you may need to navigate manually to the end of the list.
- Right-click the selected snapshot and select “Create Image”
- Name the image as appropriate.
- In ‘Virtualization Type’ select ‘Hardware-assisted virtualization’ (HVM).
- In ‘Architecture’ select ‘x86_64’
- Use the default ‘RAM disk ID’ and ‘Kernel ID’
- Finally, click Create.
3. Launch a new instance from the AMI
Now launch a new EC2 Instance from the image while using the same settings as the existing AMI. A brief overview of how to accomplish this is given below.
- On AWS Console, select EC2.
- On the EC2 Dashboard, select Instances from the left-hand menu (or use the ‘Running Instances’ link).
- Click ‘Launch Instance’.
- Click ‘My AMIs’ from the left-hand menu.
- Find the Image we just created and click Select beside it.
- Choose an instance size - this MUST be the same size as the one you imaged!
- Select an IAM role (probably the same one as used with the instance we created a snapshot of).
- Click ‘Add Storage’.
- Click ‘Add Tags’. Use the ‘Name’ tag and give that a value to name the instance.
- Click ‘Configure Security Groups’. Elect to ‘Select an existing security group’ and choose the group associated with the instance the image was created from using the drop-down menu.
- Click ‘Review and Launch’ then ‘Launch’.
- Select the keypair that you’ll use to securely connect to this Matillion ETL instance.
- Launch Instances (this may take a few minutes).
4. Switch to the pre-release channel
Ssh into your EC2 instance (if putty)
Edit /etc/yum.repos.d/matillion.repo by changing the line ending:
WARNING: If the current file does NOT end with /repo then proceed NO FURTHER and contact Matillion support!
5. Update the software and restart the instance with the following commands
- sudo yum clean all
- sudo yum update
- sudo service tomcat8 restart
You are now running the pre-release version on the cloned instance!
Be sure to test your workloads, etc. Be aware schedules will have migrated and will run on both instances. SQS will listen from old and new.
Once you are confident your jobs are running you may want to shut down your original Matillion ETL instance.